You are implementing Social Security FICA deferrals using CORT Payroll and would like to know if there is a way to apply this deferral only to specific employees when using the 'Defer Employee's FICA' option.
Enabling FICA on a global level
Navigate to the Options > System Options > Company Special Tax Instructions tab and check the 'Defer Employee's FICA' box. This option will override the payroll FICA option, which means that even if Payroll Control Information does not have deferring enabled it still will defer employee’s FICA.
Enabling FICA on a payroll level
Check the 'Defer Employee's FICA' in the Payroll Control Information tab: this will enable FICA deferring for each payroll separately, for example, a specific division or department in the current payroll.
Enabling FICA deferral for specific employees
- Go to Options > User Defined Data Definitions
- Add a New Form/Screen with DFICAEMP name. Set 'Deferred FICA' as the title.
- Create a New Item with the same name DFICAEMP and with the setup below.
- Press OK to save the changes.
- Next, to add this value to a specific employee go to Employees > Additional Data
- Search for the specific employee, and select the DFICAEMP definition.
- Lastly, add one of the values below depending on the employee and press OK. It would need to be set to 'A' to defer FICA for that specific employee
- A: always defer FICA, regardless of bi-weekly gross.
- E: except employee from FICA deferring (do not defer), regardless of bi-weekly gross.
- Empty field/no value: ignore DFICAEMP User-Defined Data parameter.
Another way to set FICA deferring is to use the Computation Definition DFCEMEXC. It should return the same values as the User-Defined Data DFICAEMP above (A, E, or empty/no value), but DFICAEMP should be disabled (set as empty) or removed, otherwise, it overrides DFCEMEXC.