You may encounter an "email is invalid or "email already exists" error when trying to change/update a person's email address in Connect. This error is due to the fact that a person in the organization already has the new email you're intending to use. Even though you could have made that person inactive, it still won't solve the issue, and whenever you search for an account with that email nothing comes up.
Please follow these steps to solve it:
- In OnDemand, go to the People tab and search for the person that should be inactive.
- Edit their record and make them Active and Active at the org (this is just temporary).
- Go to Connect and under Instance Admin click on Update Connect.
- Go to Forms > Accounts and search for the account using the new email you want to use, this time the person that had an inactive account should appear.
- Once you locate their account click on Edit.
- Scroll down and update the login email for a dummy email and click Save.
- At this point, you should be able to add the email to the active person's record
- Go back to OnDemand and repeat steps 1 and 2 but this time deactivate the old person's account.
- Go back to Connect once more and repeat step 3.