This article describes how to set up Sales Tax by local jurisdictions such that each county/city/zip code has its own unique tax rate in Everest.
The procedure requires the information on each county including all zip codes within the county and corresponding sales tax rates for each zip code to be defined in a CSV file or spreadsheet.
Tax jurisdictions can be created from the Jurisdictions browser accessed from the main menu bar by going to File > Setup > Accounting > Taxes > Jurisdictions and accordingly creating or updating a Jurisdiction profile as detailed in Setting up Jurisdictions.
This procedure however is not efficient when customers need to set up or update Sales tax rates for several jurisdictions such as counties in an entire state (e.g. New York) which can range from a few hundred to several thousand jurisdictions each with a unique sales tax rate.
For this second scenario, which can occur if/when a state passes tax legislation affecting all its counties, it is more efficient to update the tax rates through a database update which should be done with guidance from Everest support.
Everest tax is based on the FIPS code hence it is necessary to first remap Zip codes to the corresponding FIPS code and then remap the tax rate provided to the mapped zip code.
In order for the support team to understand the current state of the Zip, FIPS codes, and the tax rates, execute the following steps to retrieve this information which should then be attached to the support ticket:
- Connect to your company database using SQL Server Management Studio
- In the SQL Server Management Studio, Select the Company Database and click on New Query
- Paste the following queries in the Query window as shown:
select * from TAXGROUP;
select * from TAXCODES;
select * from TaxCode_Detail;
select * from TAXTABLE;
select * from TAXONTAX;
select * from JURISDIC;
- Click Execute or Press F5 to execute all the queries.
- In the Results pane, Right-click | Select All
- Right-click on the selected Grid | Copy with Header
- Paste the results in an Excel Spreadsheet, with each query output on a separate worksheet as shown in the sample extract attached.
- Create and submit a support ticket describing your requirement and attach the Excel spreadsheet for further analysis and preparation of your database update scripts.
- Follow the update steps as instructed by the Everest support team.
Refer to the scripts provided in #67673 (addjurisdictions.txt) and adapt as necessary to the specific company as well as SALES_TAX_CALC_METHOD in use by following the script comments.
Advise the customer to restart the Everest client after the import to refresh the newly imported jurisdictions and sales tax rates.
New sales tax rates by local jurisdictions (counties/cities/ZIpcodes) are imported in Everest and visible from the Jurisdictions browser at File > Setup > Accounting > Taxes > Jurisdictions.
Please sign in to leave a comment.