Solving incorrect balances in accounts payable from a previous year


You have some payables to vendors that are incorrect from previous years and you are looking to adjust the balances in the vendor accounts.


The issue can be resolved by following the steps below:

  1. Create a payment journal by navigating to Accounting > Account Payable > Payment Journal
  2. Choose New.
  3. After selecting the Vendor, add a line in the Transaction Entries and select the Refund of Purchase Invoice.
  4. Once selected, click on the Document Browser on the next cell and find the Purchase invoice that is overpaid.
  5. After selected it would be defaulted to the full amount, in this case, change the amount to the overpaid amount.
  6. To balance the journal entry, you need to add a new line in the transaction entries and select the Miscellaneous Payment option.
  7. Edit the balance and put a checkmark on the entries.
  8. Save the journal.

A screen recording showing how to complete the above steps is available here


After applying the steps above, the accounts payable should be balanced. If the issue persists, please contact support.




Please sign in to leave a comment.